Monday, March 8, 2010

Millcreek Canyon Legacy

Last summer, while involved in my beloved hobby of family history,
I perused the website of Millcreek Inn in Millcreek Canyon.
Imagine my surprise when I read the history of the Inn and discovered that it was all wrong!

So ... I sent an email off informing them that I had the "true" story if they were interested.
I immediately received a response from the owner, Sasan Moatamud,
telling me that he was definitely interested in meeting with me and hearing my story.
It was a busy season for both of us and we lost connection until last month.
Clive and I were finally able to meet with Sason for a delightful morning
that took me on an exciting walk down memory lane.

The TRUE story:

In 1953 my grandparents, Faunce & Verda Hudson, purchased land in Millcreek Canyon and began work on building a store & coffee shop that they called the Millcreek Inn. It catered to the hikers, picknickers, and hunters that visited the canyon.

The real beauty is that I just happen to have my grandmother's diaries from that period. So ... I transcribed every single entry that she made making any reference to the Inn or the canyon from 1953 when they purchased the land until they sold the Inn in 1959.

I compiled the information into a book, including a few photos that I was able to locate.

In February Clive and I finally met Sasan.

He took us on a tour of the Inn and I shared my memories, then presented him with the book I had compiled. We were both emotional because history means a great deal to each of us.

He has done his best to maintain the integrity of the original building, while updating it for today's needs.

The Inn has quite a history as it transformed from a coffee shop to a restaurant to an events center.

The pot belly stove that was an original part of the store when my grandpa owned it. Sasan offered it to me any time I wanted it, but as far as I'm concerned, it belongs with the Inn.

In a gesture of magnanimity, Sasan has offered to host a reunion this July for all the descendents of Faunce and Verda. I just can't express how elated I am to be a part of the Millcreek Inn legacy.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Janell said...

What an incredible experience! I love family history, too. My mother and I have been working on histories and its been wonderful.

skcoe said...

So cool that everything turned out the way it did...such an amazing legacy your grandparents left behind!

Taralou said...

That is truly amazing. I want to know more... :-)

Marisa Jean said...

I still think this is so remarkable. Looking forward to the reunion and actually being in the facility our family built. Very cool.